The Scent of a Soul

The Scent of a Soul by Jennifer Thompson| Review


The Scent of a Soul by Jennifer Thompson

Published by Create Space on December 8, 2012
Pages            480

Purchase Book
AmazonBarnes & Noble

Connect with Author
(GoodreadsBlog)


Summary:
Fleeing her recent past, Lilliah Woods finds refuge in the anonymity of the present day inner-city slums. As she settles into the seedy apartment she must now call home, she meets mysterious Marek Jamison when he materializes in her doorway demanding to know who she is. From that moment, he becomes a guardian and guide as she gradually discovers his hidden world.

As their relationship develops, Lilliah learns of Marek's dark past and of a brothers' quarrel he has been embroiled in for years. The quarrel turns into a larger battle of good and evil, liberty versus tyranny, and the separation of love and lust.
With Lilliah as the ultimate prize, the deadly conflict reaches out to threaten her family, and the outcome of the final battle will determine her fate. Lilliah must embark on an unexpected path that teaches her to trust in the man she has come to love, and give of herself as she never thought she could...

                              What I think:
I was approached by the author of this novel to do a review. I have to say I was happy to review this book as I am a huge fan of paranormal romance. I mean, who is the biggest and most loyal fan of vampires of this generation if not me? While I was happy to read the story there was also a little part of me that hoped and prayed that this book would not disappoint me and destroy my already wounded heart with a bad vampire story; I mean there have been so many really bad ones out there (can anyone say "Buffy the vampire slayer?"). I admit that when it comes to paranormal stories whether it is about vampires, ghosts or lycanthropes; I can be the biggest snob. It takes a really good story to get me going so believe me when I say that this book was a great read (in slang terms it was bad ass to say the least). I was sucked into the story the moment I started reading.

This story in my opinion is a paranormal romance in the vein of other paranormal stories like The vampire Diaries and Twilight. Now I am not saying this to mean that the author copied from any of these stories; I'm just saying that to enlighten prospective readers of the nature of the story. Kinda like describing the taste of pomegranate juice to someone who has never tasted it by comparing it to cranberry or grape juice. With this being said I think the author was very creative and original with her own twist on the lives of her vampire characters. For example she had a different twist on what a vampire looks like, how they die and the whole issue of immortality (which to me are almost always similar in every vampire paranormal story, so much so that they are fast becoming cliches). The fact that this book gave a completely new take was refreshing.

I liked all the characters in this book. Albeit there were times when I found it extremely hard to like the heroine Lilliah, but that was only because she constantly made decisions that I thought she shouldn't especially when it came to Jack. I had a love/hate relationship with her because while she did things I didn't like she was also really strong and independent; I love that she didn't play the role of damsel in distress like so many of the heroines in other books. She did not change completely and give her herself over to the hero (Marek) like some silly little school girl. I appreciated the fact that she stayed true to herself and her original character even to the end of the story. At the beginning of the novel it was said that Lilliah is a virgin and that she plans to wait until marriage. I love love that she did not just change her mind the minute Marek took his shirt off. As a matter of fact there was no graphic sex scenes in the book, so this is a story that is ideal for a reader that likes romance but does not want to have to suffer through uncomfortable sex scenes (even though I am fan of erotica I still found this fact refreshing).

Marek, the hero of the novel is European specifically Scottish. Now I normally prefer my villains to be European because there is nothing like a bad boy with a sexy accent. But Marek was the definition of sexy. Though there were times I did not agree with him because he was a little too commanding towards Lilliah but I guess he was trying to protect her. I like that he was in some sense a little old fashion, maybe it is because I am a huge fan of medieval times and he reminded me of that.

All in all I think this book was a great read. I loved that the author developed each character perfectly however I think that there were characters who could have been written in a separate story instead of simply giving them a point of view in this novel for example Abraham and Keri were two characters that I think could have been written in a great sequel to this book. It was hinted at the end of the novel that Lilliah's sister and Marek's friend might be written as a sequel so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Overall this is a story I would definitely recommend.

SincerelyYoursTheReader.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfection by R.L Mathewson

Playing for Keeps by R.L Mathewson

Breakable by Tammara Webber