Breakable by Tammara Webber

Breakable by Tammara Webber (Contours of the Heart #2)| Review

Breakable by Tammara Webber

Published by Penguin Berkley on May 6, 2014
Pages            368

Purchase Book
AmazonBarnes & Noble

Connect with Author
(GoodreadsTwitterBlog)

Summary:
He was lost and alone. Then he found her.
And the future seemed more fragile than ever.

As a child, Landon Lucas Maxfield believed his life was perfect and looked forward to a future filled with promise — until tragedy tore his family apart and made him doubt everything he ever believed.

All he wanted was to leave the past behind. When he met Jacqueline Wallace, his desire to be everything she needed came so easy…

As easy as it could be for a man who learned that the soul is breakable and that everything you hoped for could be ripped away in a heartbeat.

What I think:
Breakable comes from the writer of Easy as book 2 in the Contours of the Heart series. This book as stated by the author is not a sequel; it is the story from Easy as told from Lucas’ point of view. I was more than ecstatic to read this book because the previous novel was told solely from Jacqueline’s point of view and I often found myself wishing I could know what Lucas was thinking while reading it. Lately I've found that a lot of authors are now choosing to write two separate books to show the point of view of each character instead of simply alternating each person's view in one novel. This can sometimes be annoying as we as readers often find ourselves simply re reading the story, just from a different point of view. That however was not the case with this book, because while the story of how Lucas and Jacqueline met is still the same, we get a whole different world when reading from Lucas’ point of view. I found myself liking this book a million times more than the first one, simply because this book was written better. The writer paid more attention to detail and while her skill at creating flashbacks was lacking in Easy, it was done properly in this novel. I did not find myself being confused when she switched between time periods because; this book was simply… better. Also, while the author failed rather miserably to develop a setting in Easy, I have to say that she did an excellent job in this novel.

The story gives us a glimpse of Lucas’ life long before the faithful night when he finally meets Jacqueline and while Jacqueline was ignorant of his existence, we see in this book that Lucas knew her before that night when she was assaulted. He was a little creepy at times, watching her from a distance, making drawings of her etc. I mean, I don’t know about you, but stuff like that rings a little bit like stalker tendencies to me. This however, can be overlooked by the fact that he is such a sweetheart.

In Easy we were made aware of the fact that Lucas was also a victim of assault, albeit indirectly. We are taken on a journey from the night of his mother’s death to the moment he meets Jacqueline and after.

This story is enthralling and compelling. It has the ability to break your heart for the little boy that Lucas was before his mother’s attack and the person he became because it, a broken young man who made dumb choices but was luckily saved from himself by those who love him.

While this story is not a fast paced one, I still found myself enjoying it and being unable to put it down. I mean, who says a story has to be fast paced to be good? Don't we have enough of those? In my opinion, the story is worthy of 4 stars and I would definitely recommend it.

SincerelyYoursTheReader.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playing for Keeps by R.L Mathewson

Perfection by R.L Mathewson