Playing for Keeps by R.L Mathewson

Playing for Keeps by R.L Mathewson (Neighbor from Hell #1)| Review

Playing for Keeps by R.L Mathewson

Published by Rerum Publishing House on April 29, 2011
Pages            220

Purchase Book
AmazonBarnes & Noble

Connect with Author
(GoodreadsTwitter)

Summary:
Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to be sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just what the bad boy next door is capable of.

The last thing Jason expected was for his little shy neighbor to go Rambo on him over some ruined flowers. After he decides to take her under his wing he can't help but notice that she fits very nicely in his life. Now the only thing left is to convince her that this is anything but a game.

What I think:


This is a fairly old book since it was published in 2011. I was recently introduced to this author by a family member. So in the space of a week and a half I binged read all her books. This is because I’m on break from school so I have lots of unoccupied time… what better to do than read right?

If you haven’t met this author yet, then you need to go out and get at least one of her books because I can guarantee that you’ll eventually try to get your hands on all of them. Lucky for me, my cousin had them either on kindle or hard copy… I’m kind of a book thief so she tries to hide her favorite books from me; which explains why it took me so long to read them.

So this story is about Haley, the typical shy girl, the pushover, the girl who notices everything but says nothing simply because she doesn't want trouble. To Haley’s dismay, she is forced to live beside Jason, the annoying, loud and extremely obnoxious neighbor who borrows her stuff without asking. Haley being the type who hates confrontation avoids Jason and allows him to do whatever he wants until she’s had enough and attacks him. Turns out people are not always who they seem and they happen to become friends where Jason decides to help Haley break out of her shell and stand up for herself

It’s been awhile since I've read a book that I enjoyed so much I started looking up other books by the author. This novel is truly funny, I found myself laughing out really loud at numerous times while reading. The characters are real and witty; Jason and Haley’s friendship is adorable. My favorite thing about this book is the fact that they don’t just fall in love; there is no love at first sight kind of bullshit. Their love develops over time; too many times authors make characters suddenly fall in love and the readers are left wondering how the hell did that happen? It sometimes makes the story boring and a little too predictable.

Of course this book isn't perfect; my issue is with their fight at the end. Naturally with this being a story there has to be a conflict. The conflict/fight just doesn't do it for me; I feel like the writer had to find a way to put a fight in there and that’s the only thing she could come up with, I was disappointed with the fight and that almost ruined the book for me; however I’m a very forgiving person so I overlooked it because the rest of the book is so good. 

SincerelyYoursTheReader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perfection by R.L Mathewson

Breakable by Tammara Webber